Plus I'm giving away an e-copy of my YA book CONJURE, book one in The Hoodoo Apprentice Series at the bottom of this post. And since I'm on Authorgraph, I'd be delighted to send you a personal inscription.
But before we get to that, I thought I'd share a little Christmas-themed hoodoo magic with you.
Be careful what you search for...
In CONJURE, Emma Guthrie learns Gullah hoodoo magic to combat The Creep, a wicked flesh-eating curse that threatens her brother’s life.
Hoodoo is an African-American folk magic prevalent in the southern United States. Plants and roots are the most important elements in both hoodoo medicine, which is used to heal ailments, and in hoodoo spells cast for magical ends.
Since this is the Entangled Under the Mistletoe blog hop, I thought I'd share how our evergreen namesake plant is used in hoodoo magic. So without further ado...
Mistletoe's Uses in Hoodoo MagicFor starters, in Hoodoo, mistletoe is not just for kissing under. According to one of my favorite hoodoo reference books, Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic by catherine Yronwode, Mistletoe is a parasitic plant that is poisonous if ingested but it has plenty of beneficial uses. For example:
- When mistletoe is dressed with Hoyt's Cologne, it can be carried to ward off enemies.
- If mistletoe is combined with rue, wahoo, and oak bark, the mixture can be burned to keep away evil.
- Mistletoe can be added to mojo bags for love, especially when there's a need to ward against love jinxes.
- Store owners can add mistletoe to devil's shoe string and cinnamon then bury the mixture at the door to their business to draw in good customers who want to spend money and keep away those who'll waste time or not pay their bills.
- To make a True Love Powder, mistletoe can be blended with verbena and elecampane then pulverized.
- Mistletoe and oak chips can be burned together to remove unsettled spirits or ghosts from a house or business.
- Burning mistletoe, rue, verbena and benzoin over charcoal is said to take off jinxes affecting health.
And now for my giveaway! I'm giving away an digital copy of CONJURE, book one in The Hoodoo Apprentice Series. Entering is easy peasy, just complete the Rafflecopter form below.
Good luck and Happy Holidays!
Before you go, if you haven't already, don’t forget to check out what the other authors participating in the hop are giving away!